[T3] how to install rear notch hood spring

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 09:06:58 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/21/2012 11:33:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

The Notch uses a slotted  plate
> and coil spring  arrangement to hold the rear trunk lid up, not torsion
> bars  like a Square or Fastback. :O And the T-34 uses a coil spring with
hooks
> on  both ends, and pulls down to hold it up. :O

I'm afraid I made the same mistake. I assumed torsion springs like VW
used everywhere else. I wonder why they  changed....

On the Notch, it is a space issue, in that the cooling air is drawn in from
 under the rear window. There's a cooling duct there, and no room for the
torsion  bars. On the T-34, it is a similar situation, in that there's
limited space to  work the hinges. It's also a Karmann design. Something to keep
in mind, is that  while both the Notch and Square were designed at the same
time frame, VW  didn't originally use springs for the rear deck lid of the
Notch (it used a prop  rod up until mid to late 64). I believe the spring
arrangement was used as a  way to eliminate the need for a prop rod, and they
felt that going with  coil springs was a cheap, and effective way to do this.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)