[T3] valve job

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 25 09:34:37 PDT 2012

On 25 Jul 2012 at 8:15, ken2k wrote:

> thanks for the help. looks like i need to replace the muffler also so
> i guess i will have to drop the engine anyway. should i just buy a
> replacement head and if so does that mean i have to replace both?? i
> have no idea where i could get it repaired properly. i have been
> wanting to check the rings anyway as i suspect they were not installed
> properly when it was rebuilt.

This should not be a reason to replace the head. Fixing this is
pretty simple. Check around in your area. Look in the Yellow Pages
and ask who works on old VWs. If you can't find anyone who can do it
locally (unlikely) you can always send it to me.

Doing this in the middle of a muffler replacement is ideal.

There's really nothing to check on the rings, unless they were
installed upside down. I think they tend to wander rotationally, so
that's not really much of a concern. Pulling the cylinders off to
look at the rings also opens up a completely new can of worms, so I'd
tend to leave that alone.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org