[T3] engine backfiring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 31 15:25:01 PDT 2012

On 31 Jul 2012 at 17:49, BilDylJ at aol.com wrote:

> I think I stopped my Trike engine from backfiring. I noticed that the
> wires leading to the injectors on the right side of  the engine are
> black to rear injector and red to the front  injector.. But the left
> side was red on rear injector and the black was on  the front injector
> {front of engine being where the belt is located.}

> I switched the wires on the left side to match the  wires on the right
>  side.The red wires are on the front injectors on  both sides of the
> engine now and the engine stopped backfiring. I know it's  confusing
> but I have been confused ever since I had the first mechanic work on
> the  engine when it wouldn't start. It never backfired before he
> worked on it.  Maybe the wires got switched when he checked the
> injectors. Maybe  there wrong now but the engine starts & runs good
> now and it don't  backfire  anymore.

I've never seen much difference in how those are hooked up, and I've
never seen red boots. I wonder what those are.

The OE boots are black and grey/tan. There's a right and wrong way to
install them, but I can never remember which way VW wanted it. It
sounds like you've got things working again, but I can't help
wondering if you bumped something else by accident.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org