[T3] a wiring question

David Sanderson djsanderson at telus.net
Tue Jul 24 19:22:18 PDT 2012

Hi Folks

I have question about the wiring around the ignition switch in my
notch project. The question involves a couple of wires and I can't
figure out what they do. My steering column is from a '65 and I am
blending the wiring harness, or at least parts of it, from a '71
vintage.

If you look at the wiring diagram for a '63 type 3, like the one shown
on Dave's site (http://www.hallvw.clara.net/wire64n.htm) the wiring
around the column is quite straight forward. Power comes to the column
and ignition switch from the battery to the light switch and the fuse
block. The black wire takes power to the whole ignition and running
side through the fuse block. It's very simple and clean.

But if you look at a later vintage, (http://www.hallvw.clara.net/wire66tl.htm
), you'll see an important difference. Power comes to the ignition
switch from the battery via the headlight and fuse block as the
earlier model and the black wire takes power, with ignition on, to the
fuse and the engine etc. But there are two grey wires that connect to
each other via a fuse, the 4th from the left. They don't appear to do
anything. I'm curious about  what they do or whether they were put in
for some other reason. I've just installed the steering column and am
loath to take it to chase wires. Can someone tell me what purpose they
serve?

Oh, and a second question, perhaps a related one, the side marker
lights get their power from the ignition. I assume that they are meant
to be running lights that are on all the time the ignition is on. Is
this correct? They do not appear to be tied into any of the light
circuits. Perhaps the grey wires are a way to bring power to these
lights?

hanks in advance.

Dave