[T3] how to install rear notch hood spring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 20 19:12:02 PDT 2012

On 20 Jul 2012 at 17:19, David Sanderson wrote:

> I have a spring for the rear hood of my 1965 notch and for the life of
> me am unable to figure out how to install this sucker. I can't get
> enough leverage on the spring to compress it into place. Has anyone
> done this before? Does anyone have any advice?

You need some sort of tool that gives you leverage and keeps your
fingers out of the way. Something appropriate is shown in the Bentley
manual, ch. 9, fig. 5-13. Note that it's hooked on the end to keep
the bar from slipping away from you.

I think I've made do with a crowbar to take them out, but I've never
tried this to install one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org