[T3] Crate was a No start....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jul 21 11:25:09 PDT 2012

On 21 Jul 2012 at 12:40, Keith Park wrote:

> Now being on a Low Carb diet my whole life Im not accustomed to vapor lock
> but do you think that might be whats happening?  Im getting the impression
> that the gas that's shooting from the jets is never making it to the engine,

If you see gas shooting out of the jets, you don't have vapor lock.

Anything that comes out the jets has nowhere else to go other than
into the combustion chamber.

> once it starts its fine but is it possible that the 93 octane isn't enough?

I don't think Octane has ANY effect on starting.

> Will the lower octanes vapor lock easier than the higher octanes?

I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt it.

When you say you have spark, does that mean that you checked it while
it wouldn't start? The easy way to check for spark is with an
inductive timing light: That will ONLY light up if there's current,
meaning charge jumped a gap somewhere outboard of the inductive
pickup.

You make a spark indicator from one of the OE inductive pickups that
came with the Computer Diagnosis cars and a +/-dual color LED. That
should produce just enough of a flicker to be seen and could be left
on a SP wire all the time with no ill effects.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org