[T3] Fan belt

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 4 12:23:35 PDT 2012

On 4 Jun 2012 at 11:29, ken2k wrote:

> does anyone know where we can buy fan belts(9.5x1000) without having
> to scour ebay and the samba?? do any of the commercial "auto parts
> stores" carry anything?? i realized this weekend i was driving without
> a spare. thanks kk

9.5 mm = 3/8" and 1000 mm = 1 m = 39.37"

With that in mind, you can go out and buy a 3/8" x 39.5" V-belt
almost anywhere. You'll have to move some shims to get it adjusted
right, but it will work just fine after that. Adjust it snug, not
tight.

For what it's worth, our cars VERY seldom need new generator belts.
You can drive for hours without one. The battery will slowly run
down, but you won't damage anything.

I once drove home 120 miles after a belt broke. It was a sunny day,
so I didn't need lights or wipers, and I kept my radio off. but when
I got home my battery still had enough charge to restart my engine a
couple of times. I did that just as a test.

The belts on all my Type 3s are decades old. For long trips, however,
it's still worth having a spare.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org