[T3] high idle: FIXED

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Sat Jun 9 15:39:24 PDT 2012

> The root cause of this is poorly positioned parts when an engine is
> rebuilt. The AID must be left loosely installed until the air runners
> are all in place, then the air runners and the AID tightened
> together, into non-stressed positions.

I am well aware of this. and have re-assembled the intake on more than one occasion, ensuring that alignment was spot-on.  I am not entirely happy with the fitment of these boots.  They were never too snug to begin with.  They appeared to be cut from a length of stock hose of the "appropriate" inside diameter, and they then charged $5 each for each little segment.  Next time I'll shop around locally for the correct stock.

> Yes, you can get around this with cable ties or hose clamps, but it's
> better to do without those, because that allows things to slide as
> various parts heat up and expand differentially. Done right, extra
> parts are not needed. I have a rather large collection of hose clamps
> that I've taken OFF engines I've worked on, but usually takes a bit
> of effort to make them unnecessary.

I know this is a quick fix, but it works for me.  I suspect the rest of the FI system was able to compensate for the vacuum leak (off-idle) as this system is based on manifold vacuum and not mass air flow (as in the L-Jet).

> If your sleeves are in really bad condition and you want a fresh
> start, I have good sleeves, both new and used.

These sleeves/boots are in good shape, as I bought them a coupla years ago.  I just think their inside diameter is just a wee bit large.

>> I had first checked the manifold pressure sensor, but since it is more
>> or less a black box that is still unmolested, I didn't venture into
>> it.  I dumped a lot of oil out of it however.
>
> I used to clean mine out regularly, too, but I stopped after it
> became clear that it never seemed to make any difference. The last
> couple years the MAP port on the IAD goes into the TOP of the IAD.
> That's a great improvement in my opinion, as this keeps pooled oil in
> the bottom of the IAD from running right down into the MAP hose. It's
> also easy to see and install, unlike the first 4 years.

Hmm… I wish I had the later IAD, but this works fine for me.  I think I drained about 20 ml of oil out of the sensor.  It is a later model - not correct for my '71, but it seems to be working so far.  I was afraid it wasn't holding a vacuum.  That's why I took it out, so I could test it better, so while I had it out I turned it up and let the oil run out.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN