[T3] Oil 'n other parts

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 9 18:05:20 PDT 2012

I talked with Tim at Berg recently, all the cam problems they were having
were due to the ZDDP being taken out without notice.  They no longer have
cam problems according to Tim as they use nothing but Pennzoil Racing 25W50
with the ZDDP in it.

Keith

> I believe Jim said  that Lucas has some ZDDP in it.

The Lucas produce I found is an oil additive. I think 1/4 - 1/2
bottle is plenty for one of our cars. The guy I bought it from told
me that he thought it was only necessary during breakin. I add it
occasionally, but I'm not religious about it.

Several years ago Berg mentioned that they were having trouble with
cam & lifter breakin, and that they were still looking for the cause
and a solution. I never heard if they came to a resolution, but I'm
guessing that this may have been about the time ZDDP started
disappearing from engine oils and that this was the cause.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org