[T3] Speedo Cable Keeps Breaking

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 24 20:41:41 PDT 2012

On 24 Jun 2012 at 18:12, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> I've broke 2 new GEMO speedometer cables now.  Seems they make it a
> few hundred miles then the squealing starts.  Once it starts, they
> just get worse no matter what I do or how I adjust, and eventually
> break at the end in the grease cup.

Since you now have a broken cable, cut the top 6" off to use as a
tool to check your speedo. Make 2 and share the other one with a
friend. Insert the square end in the speedo and turn it. Make sure
that it turns smoothly and almost friction free. It might feel a bit
viscous, but should never feel tight or sticky.

If the speedo head is not free, you should probably send it to me to
free it up, or you can send it somewhere much more expensive for a
complete restoration.

Make sure the grease cap is pounded all the way home, so that the
square hole in the end is actually centered. The fact that they're
breaking there makes me think the cap might be on crooked.

Then the cable should be adjusted: With the cable installed in the
speedo and the circlip or cotter pin installed on the bottom end,
reach behind the wheel and push & pull the cable housing as far as it
will go in & out of the knuckle. Note the limits of its travel. Then
position it about halfway between those 2 limits. This allows for
expansion/contraction with temperature as well as assuring that there
is no undue stress on the cable. This adjustment is something that
seldom gets done, but it's extremely important.

Sounds like you have already checked the routing. This is very
important. There should not be any sharp bends in the cable when the
car is sitting on its wheels. This will be different from how things
look when jacked up off its wheels.

If you do all of these things, the cables should last a very long
time.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org