[T3] Steering Box Questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 25 19:53:46 PDT 2012

On 25 Jun 2012 at 18:14, Max Welton wrote:

> When temps got into the 90s here in CO, I began to notice a little
> oily puddle on the barn floor ... under the front of the car. Turns
> out to be the grease leaking out of my steering box.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. There are 1 or 2 rubber plugs
on top of the steering box. The best way to get to them is to remove
the gas tank so you can easily get to them. Just pop them out and
pump some more grease. Anything will do, but I tend to use a moly
grease since there is some sliding going on in there. As long as the
steering feels okay, that's all I would do. If it starts to develop
too much play, you can get a good used one or a new one.

You can try replacing seals like Keith suggests, but this turns out
to be more work than most people want to put into the job.

In general, these boxes seem to last forever.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org