[T3] Fan Belt or Not?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 11:03:39 PDT 2012

T-III, Std. FI '71----  I thought that a strange squeal coming from rear of car was the fan belt, so I changed it.    There's still a squeal.   Belt tightness is correct.

  It sounds like two turkeys serenading each other...not too screechy, but loud.   And it stays at same pitch no matter what car speed.      BUT...a friend in the passenger seat the other day thought the squeal was more like from the right rear wheel area.     If so, how can the squeal not change pitch depending on speed and wheel rotation?
Squeal never happens at idle, even if revved.

  What in rear wheel or suspension area or something could squeal like that?

One more thing.   Apparently the dowel, or dowels that hold bearings in their crankcase positions have, over time, widened their holes in the case so that I now have a little too much in and out play in the fan pulley.  Will have to put in my one remaining spare engine one fine day.   Could that extra play in the fan account for belt squeals?...or other squeals?       (It accounts for the rattlesnake noise that also comes and goes...but....)

Could the slight excess end-play cause the crankshaft oil seal to squeal?