[T3] Starter needed

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 7 18:45:26 PDT 2012

Went to get the Notch out of the storage tent today, only been there a month
or less, and the clutch we STUCK GOOD!  The car is in a tent on the side of
a  busy road which you have to back UP a hill to get out.  So I got it
running and warmed up a bit then shut if off, put it in reverse with the
clutch released and hit the starter,  it didn't quite start and the starter
jammed engaged!  So here I am, busy road, cant get it out of reverse gear.
its stuck in gear TOO, starter wont release, I had to pull the Ebrake on to
keep the car from moving anymore, Starter sitting there stalled, hundreds of
amps at stall speed. for close to a minute while I got the back seat up and
wrench out (which Thank goodness I had) and as soon as I got the negative
post loose the starter let go!

Well, after a bit I got a spotter and got it back into reverse and got it
started in gear and it came out, clutch still stuck, so I shut it off and
repeated it a third time in first gear (now on the road) and REALLY had to
romp on it go break the clutch loose!

Now WHAT do you think the chances are that the Clutch, Starter, AND
transmission would ALL THREE Stick at the same time and leave me screwed
like that?
Anyone had a clutch nearly weld itself to the flywheel in just a month?  Its
not that wet or humid in this tent..

Anyway. the starter really doesn't sound that good anymore, grinds pretty
loud when cranking!  I need to find a good used unit (don't want to buy the
crap quality new ones out there).  If anyone has a good Bosch one to sell at
a reasonable price and can bring it to the invasion Im interested.

Really bummed out, that starter I rebuilt not long ago, it was a real good
one!  Hopefully it has enough left in it to get the alignment tomorrow and
state inspection.

Sigh!

Keith

Top Notch Restorations