[T3] 2 FI fuel pumps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 28 12:09:22 PDT 2012

Sent to the list because of its general interest.

Bob gave me 2 non-working FI fuel pumps at the Invasion. These were
both the very latest version, and I had rebuilt one of them. Both
pump heads were filled with brown/black solid stuff that was not the
usual stuff I find in there. I was concerned that there was a problem
with my rebuild.

On 28 Jun 2012 at 10:57, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/28/2012 1:21:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

> Was that the one I send you long ago that didn't work? If  so, it must
> have gotten installed on something that FILLED it with gelled  gas. It
> was literally packed with gunk that completely filled it. It never
> had a chance to work. Do you remember the circumstances?

> It worked just fine for about 6 months, then lost fuel pressure (wouldn't
> build it). It was out of my wife's car. I replaced that with a Ranger pump.
> It  probably sat for a couple of years after I swapped it though, so that
> might  have been where the gunk came from. It was rebuilt back in 2007
> though.

I opened the motor on that pump and found it to be FULL of water
(still!) and no gas. I think it can be saved, but now it's clear what
happened to it. It was not filled with gas residue; it was filled
with residue and rust which seized everything up. That may have been
before I started selling the overflow hose kits, or you hadn't
installed one, or you installed one, but the tank already had a fair
amount of water in it.

> The other pump came out of my 71 Notch. In 2010, it decided to quit making
> fuel pressure too, so I swapped in a Ranger pump in it. I've since sold
> that  car, so I don't need a pump for it.

That pump motor had a mix of water and gas in it. It was mostly gas,
but there was still enough water to cause problems and there had
probably been more at the time.

> Like I said to you when I gave them to you, they're for parts to help
> others with. I really DON'T want them back.But I do appreciate the autopsy
> results.;-)

I understand. I'll try to save these and put them in my stock.
Thanks!  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org