[T3] FI Help needed

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 4 16:14:47 PDT 2012

On 4 May 2012 at 17:47, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Hello group, I'm trying to help someone on the road that doesn't have
> internet access at the moment. The car is a 71 FI t-3, with a stock 1600 engine.
>  The problem is that it won't restart when hot, unless you ICE down the
> intake  manifold, then it'll start and run with no problem. Any idea what might
> be  causing this. I looked thru Elfrink, but it only covered no "cold
> start". Once  it's started it runs ok, until you have to stop, then it might
> stall, and won't  run worth a lick. Right now, fuel mileage is terrible, as it's
> about 20 right  now. At this time, that's all I know, other than the fuel
> filter just got  changed this morning (no help according to the owner). He's
> also got a  minimal tool kit with him, but nothing for heavy duty repairs.

Sounds like the cold start valve is on all the time.

Start by simply unplugging the 2 pin plug that plugs into the CSV
itself.

I've seen cases where the wire from the CSV to the temp switch had
come undone and gotten grounded, causing full time running of the
CSV.

Also, ask if he gets 2 relay clicks when he turns the key ON. If not,
someone has worked on the starter and gotten 2 wire switched. That
will also run the CSV full time, and also add extra richness for
starting.

The symptoms are pretty telling. Somethings not hooked up right.

Could also be the hose from the IAD to the pressure sensor has come
loose at one end or the other. If it's come loose from under the IAD,
you'd never notice, and it can be hard to find where it goes if
you're not already familiar with the underside of the IAD.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org