[T3] Starting again?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 8 07:20:54 PDT 2012

On 8 May 2012 at 6:53, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> It has been a long time since I have posted to this list, because I had to
> garage my '72 Squareback for the past 7 years and have been unable to work
> on it.  I have since been reunited with my car, have relocated it from a
> barn in Indiana to beautiful Northern California, and am wanting to get it
> back on the road again. So I'm wondering, where to begin.

I would start by seeing if the engine will turn over. You could start
by trying to turn it via the generator & belt, then try the starter.
If that works, listen while you turn the key ON. When you turn the
key ON, you should hear a click and then a second click about 1
second later. Between those 2 clicks, you should hear the fuel pump
buzzing, but that may take a second person listening down near the RF
wheel.

If all that works, add a couple gallons of gas to the tank and try to
start it. You'll want to turn the key ON and OFF a few times to let
the pump fill the system and get the air out.

Then try to start it.

I would definitely not jump into a rebuild without knowing if it was
really necessary.

If you ever need FI parts, they will be available HERE at reasonable
prices. I have everything you will ever need. Especially living in
CA, you don't want to remove the stock FI system. If you do, I think
you'll find that at some point you will no longer be able to license
the car. Plus, the FI system will give you better driveability and
reliability in the long run.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org