[T3] Starting again?

Don Robertson donrob at yachtsales.com
Tue May 8 07:22:16 PDT 2012

Change the oil before you do anything.

At 09:53 AM 5/8/2012, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>It has been a long time since I have posted to this list, because I had to
>garage my '72 Squareback for the past 7 years and have been unable to work
>on it.  I have since been reunited with my car, have relocated it from a
>barn in Indiana to beautiful Northern California, and am wanting to get it
>back on the road again. So I'm wondering, where to begin.
>
>The car ran when it was parked 7 years ago, but I have not tried to turn it
>over yet.  It was my daily driver for about 2 years before I parked it. Do
>you guys recommend that I give it a shot and see if it starts, or do you
>think I should just plan on a rebuild?  If I should try to start it,
>anything I should do first to prep it for the first attempted turn over?
>The Indiana barn, although water proof, was not as safe as a place as I
>would have hoped because I notice significantly more rust on the vehicle
>than when I parked her, but she still looks great.  Most of the rust is on
>the exposed metal (exhaust, disk brakes, around the fuel cap, etc).  So
>again, where should I begin?
>
>Because the fuel that was in the tank is all gone (and there is probably
>some gunk left behind) should I pull the tank and try to clean it out?
>
>I've done nearly all the work to this car myself and would like to keep
>that up.  I find working on the car a great stress reliever -- most of the
>time ;-)
>
>Also, it still has the stock FI system.  Do you guys recommend keeping
>that?  It was difficult to find parts 5 years ago and I'm assuming it has
>not become any easier.  Thoughts?
>
>What else would you guys do in my shoes?
>
>Jacob

Don Robertson - (905) 566-0000
3641 Wolfedale Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L5C 1V8
Skype: marinemarketplace
Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
live at the expense of everybody else.
- Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)

Webmaster:
Click Here http://www.marinesurveyor.com/websites.html for a list of
over 100 Marine Surveyor Clients.

http://www.peoplepost.net/                      peoplepost.net
http://www.yachtsales.com                       Don Robertson's
Marine Marketplace
http://www.marinesurveyor.com                   The Marine Surveyor's Web Site
http://www.marinesurvey.org                     The Society of
Accredited Marine Surveyors
http://www.oxfordautosales.com                  Oxford Auto Sales
http://www.artsale.com                          ArtSale.com
http://www.boatexhaust.com/                     BoatExhaust.com
http://www.yachtsales.com/msandy/               Maritime Ship & Yacht Brokers
http://www.brimleyboatsales.com/                Brimley Boat Sales
http://www.classicboatrestorations.com/         Classic Boat Restorations
http://www.clelandinstruments.com/              Cleland Instruments
http://www.customyachtbuilder.com/              The Custom Yacht builder
http://www.yachtsales.com/sharpe/               William M. Sharpe
Barrister & Solicitor
http://www.greatlakesboathaulers.com/           Great Lakes Boat Haulers
http://www.smsflags.com/                        SMS Flags - Hand Made To Order
http://www.dkqandsonsalarms.com/                D.K.Q. & Sons Alarms
http://www.yachtsales.com/mathews/              David Mathews, Yacht Deliveries
http://www.auto-tech.ca                         Auto-Tech
http://www.dixiematheson.com/                   Dixie Matheson Service Centre
http://www.counsellingwomen.com/                Cynthia Black
Counselling For Women
http://www.accuratervinspectors.com/            Accurate RV Inspectors
http://www.railwayexpertwitness.com/            Railway Expert Witness

Listmaster
http://www.marinesurveyor.com/boatpokers/ - Boatpokers - A private
email forum for SAMS members
http://www.surveyorexchange.com/ - The Marine Exchange - The Marine
Technical Email Forum
For Professionals Employed in Marine Industries.