[T3] Stalling after 15 minutes on the Interstate!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 14 21:44:57 PDT 2012

On 14 May 2012 at 17:27, Art Sterrett wrote:

> My 1971 Fastback w/fuel injection has been running great, mostly short
> trips to work, etc.  Yesterday I decided to run up the Interstate
> about 8 to 10 miles to visit my son.  Car was performing good, I was
> driving at 60 to 65 mph, no problems.  I exited off the Interstate
> into the town where my son lives and every time I had to stop the
> engine would die.  At first it didn't want to start but I found that
> if I put the pedal to the floor it would start back up and would run
> until I stopped again.  It acts and feels like the engine if starving
> for fuel.

As others have suggested, it could just be the idle out of
adjustment. That's especially likely if the aux air regulator (AAR)
had been sticky and just managed to free itself up on this trip. To
check this, take the hose that runs from the AAR to the air cleaner
and pull it off the air cleaner. Does the engine die when you close
off that hose? If so, the idle is adjusted too low. That's an easy
fix.

Another thing to check would be the pressure sensor. Suck on it using
a clean hose. If you find that you can draw air without limit, your
MAP diaphram has cracked. A good '70-1 MAP sensor is a hard part to
find.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org