[T3] engine backfiring

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 20 18:01:43 PDT 2012

On 19 May 2012 at 19:02, BilDylJ at aol.com wrote:

>   I have a old home built trike with a 1972 type 3 fuel injected  engine
> with manual trans. The Trike ran good for about 2 yrs. Buy I had to  store it
> covered over outside for a month and when I got back, It would not  start. I
> got it started but now the engine is backfiring. It seams to run  good when
> you are heavy on the throttle but when you hold it at a steady speed,  like
> 30 mph and just give it enough fuel to hold that speed the engine will
> backfire continually, always from the same side muffler.

1) Check the hose from the intake air distributor to the pressure
sensor. If it has fallen off, it will act like this.

2) Get a copy of the Bentley Type 3 service manual. That's the ONLY
place I know of that will give you the right tuneup proceedure for
the '72. It's a PITA, and different from all the other years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org