[T3] The bad generator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 21 22:32:49 PDT 2012

On 21 May 2012 at 21:52, Keith Park wrote:

> Measured the field windings, they were both 1.8 ohms, matching the
> good unit im rebuilding but there were a couple bad bars

Field windings sound like they are probably okay.

If the commutator has worn out of round, it will bounce the brushes
out of contact and cause the commutator segments to burn where the
brush lifts off.

Shorts or opens in the armature windings can also cause burned
segments. These can only be checked with a growler.

I have a growler and can also turn the commutator round again.
Shipping an armature is a lot cheaper than shipping the whole
generator.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org