[T3] 72 FI simplified

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 22 06:12:13 PDT 2012

On 22 May 2012 at 12:26, Dave Hall wrote:

> My head's spinning thinking about it - doesn't the 'vac advance' actually
> reduce the advance when the throttle is opened, as the manifold vacuum
> pressure rises?    At high rpm and small throttle openings or closed
> throttle, the manifold vacuum is greater, and so is the advance - isn't that
> right?

None of these dists (all the later ones which also have mech adv) use
direct manifold vacuum for the advance, which would change as you
say. Instead, they get their vacuum from holes drilled near where the
throttle butterfly valve closes, so that they are dependent on the
relative position of the valve flap to the hole and the speed of the
air flowing across the hole (Bernoulli's effect.) For all of these,
the advance increases as the vacuum increases.

The vacuum retard drilling is positioned in a location that the valve
flap passes across as the flap opens. Thus that hole gets full
manifold vacuum at idle, when the flap is closed, but that changes
quickly to very little vacuum once the flap is opened a bit.

I believe the retard side of the dual cans has a spring with much
more preload, so that it really doesn't move much at all until it
gets the strong idle vacuum. Then it moves to the end of its travel.
On these, the retard increases as the vacuum increases.

The dual vac cans are expensive ($150!) and have poor reliability on
the retard side, so if someone sends me a bad one to rebuild I
generally advise them to "upgrade" to the '73 dist, MAP sensor, and
brain, because VW & Bosch figured out a better way to do this the
following year. I recently managed to buy several NOS '72 dual vac
cans, however, so I can now replace them at a reasonable price.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org