[T3] Fuel System (Tank)

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 30 08:30:32 PDT 2012

> There is still 2-3 gallons of (old) gas in the tank, is it
> ok to use this or should I dispose of it?

If in doubt, don't use it in a fuel injection motor. Too many potential problems could happen with old gas for an FI system as they are a bit sensitive to changes in fuel. Not using it is cheap insurance against potential problems of getting stuff stuck in the system.

If you have access to an old carburetor based car or truck, add it to that tank to dilute it and odds are it won't even notice. I have added old gas to my '64 Ford truck several times with no ill affect.

As mentioned, strain it through something so you can see what has happened to the gas in the tank. Slosh it around a bit first to loosen up anything that is loose and would come out when drained so you can see what is in there.

I put a chain in my tank, added kerosene, suspended it from the rafters and sloshed it around to get stuff out. Did this a few times and it cleaned up nicely. A lot of work, so confirm it needs to be done first. I made a cover to replace the fuel level sender hole.

However, removing the tank makes replacement of the fuel lines easier and allows you to check the master cylinder area as well.

Jeff '67 Sqbk