[T3] Speedometer/Odometer ratio?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 30 13:03:38 PDT 2012

On 30 May 2012 at 12:24, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2012, at 5:22 AM, Jim Adney wrote:
>
> > On 9 Feb 2012 at 13:00, Jim Adney wrote:
> >
> >> So here's my question: What does the W0.82 mean?
> >
> > Does anyone out there have a speedometer in km/hr that they could
> > look at easily to see what that marking is? I'm wondering if it's
> > different.
>
> Breaking news from the department of ancient threads!  Below is a link
> to a picture of a KM speedo that appears to be marked W0.50.
>
> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/4303563.jpg

I'll have to think about this a bit, but at first light, it seems
reasonable, because .50/.80 = .625 and .50/.82 = .610, so this pretty
much brackets the ratio of km to miles.

(our mi/hr speedos came in both .80 and .82 versions, perhaps
more....)

I've almost forgotten what this all boiled down to. Was it that .82
meant 820 tire revolutions to the mile? In that case, 500 tire
revolutions to the km would be exactly right.

Interesting that these tires would come to such an even number of
revolutions per km. (Perhaps just one more justification for the
metric system.  ;-)

Thanks for catching this!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org