[T3] Engine Rattle (2nd attempt)

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 11:17:14 PDT 2012

(71 w/ 72 standard engine.)

Earlier advice (Adney ?) about
finding cause of odd tinny rattle in engine area was about having a
friend press clutch pedal and someone watching to see if fan-belt pulley
 moves in or out.

 Did that.    It moves in and out   Will try to measure the movement.

 I did this check with long time VW mechanic friends...though they rarely get old VWs anymore at the shop.

Diagnosis:
 Not a peril to the car.
 Fan tapping somehow on the shrouding....explaining how tinny the sound is.
 Not some wear and tear on important engine parts.
Could
 "fix" this by removing engine and adding a shim?   Removing one?)    Is engine removal-replacement
worth it?
If no gushing
 Oil Leak (no leak evident) at the crankshaft seal, not to worry.   (Yet?)

One question I forgot to ask is....would this in-and-out, maybe too-much-fan-play, cause a fan belt squeal once in a while?

What's the thinking on this?

PS: Car runs okey doke otherwise....'cept for some brake caliper freeze on one side or the other.