[T3] The VR39 regulator

topnotch at nycap.rr.com topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu May 10 19:50:39 PDT 2012

well im in PA and after 4 hours on the highway here's what I noticed.  it started out at about 14V but slowly settled down to 12.9-13V on the highway with the lights off.  stopped to eat, started out again 20 mins later and now its 14-14.5V at highway speed.  this went down to about 13.5 with the lights on then slowly went down to about 12.5 at highway speed with the lights on.

Now why would a mechanical regulator allow the voltage to drop with time on the highway??  all voltages were measured at the battery and the car seemed to run fine throughout the test.  Gas mileage seemed ok but Im running really heavy on a windy day anyway.

I have the Bosch electronic one with me and im going to put it back in over the weekend and see how it goes on the trip back but as I remember it kept 14 or higher on the highway the entire time.