[T3] Regulator going down again!

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue May 15 16:28:38 PDT 2012

Driving around town now in the rain, lights on, wipers on, and things are
getting worse again.  No COLD generator light when I first start it like
before but now the electronic Bosch regulator is starting to give an idle
light, and this morning when I arrived at work I had to get it up close to
3K RPM with the lights and wipers OFF to get the generator light out!  Now,
it IS charging at those RPM's even if the light is on but at idle its almost
as if its not full-fielding the generator when it should. Drove home, nice
bright light even though it WAS charging and the system voltage was good,
then, about half way the light would go out but a little while later its on
again and now its NOT charging unless I get about 3K RPM.  Got home,
squeezed the brushes on the generator and all was well, so now it's the
generator again!  These brushes are new and not worn down and this is one of
the 2 generators Ive been using with no problems for 20 years.

Is it possible that the regulator is damaging the generator?  This generator
still looks fine and both brushes still look/feel new but needed a squeeze
to make good contact again after only about 1000 miles on them

I will say that I got 2MPG MORE on the return trip from PA with the 14V and
although there was some tail wind involved for about 60 miles that wouldn't
have accounted for all of it.  I also noticed that it was detonating on the
hills though, something I haven't heard before with the new stepped heads..
Should I adjust it a smidge richer or just go up to 89 Octane??

Anybody have a set of 12V generator brushes they'd sell me without charging
me $10 in shipping to send them?  I need to rebuild another core I have if
Im going to feel good about the invasion trip.

Thanks