[T3] Gas tank cleaning

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 3 20:37:18 PDT 2012

> I've been going through the fuel system in my 70 Fastback. Seems some crud
> has accumulated in the gas tank! I removed the gas tank today and I'm
> hoping to take it to the local radiator shop on Monday. Has any one had
> their gas tanks boiled lately? Have you had the tank coated? Thoughts on
> boiling and coating? Should I stay away from having the tank coated? My
> Dad has had a few gas tanks coated in the past, but never for an F.I. car.

Never get a FI tank coated. That will result in a non functional tank and
you'll be looking for a replacement.

It's most likely that your tank doesn't need any help at all. If your
overflow hose has not been replaced or repaired, that's what you should be
doing: Lots less work and lots less money. That's how the crud has been
getting into your tank. The kits for your '70 will cost $33, including
shipping.