[T3] Gas tank cleaning

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 04:48:34 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/5/2012 4:09:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mountainvw at hotmail.com writes:

What  would be the "Soluable Oil"????????????????????I never heard about
it, what  description do you need to tell in a shop what you want????Will it
also work  with that oil even your car is stored most of the time, at least
ten month a  year, will the gas tank not start to rust again if it is just
the bare metal  and your soluable oil??? No coating to  protect?????

Soluable oil is a cutting fluid that you can get thru most industrial
supply houses, or machine shops. It's basically a cutting oil/coolant used for
machining. The idea is to use it until the vehicle is put back into full
time service, as the gasoline is "supposed" to keep the tank from rusting.

 This was actually recommended by VW (it's in the blue Bentley). They
actually wanted you to use a Derusting Phosphate Agent called "Antox Extra  M",
which was mixed @10 parts water to 1 part of it first. It  is  supposed to
give a good pickling effect, and leaves a phosphate film on the  tank.Then
you used the soluable oil as a rinse to prevent rust. However, I  asked
several people that are in the know, where 1 would find the "Antox  extra M", but
kept coming up empty. I really didn't like option "B" (as VW  called it),
where you used hydrochloric acid to clean the tank (mixed 20 parts  acid, to
80 parts water, and 1 part restrainer). :O This didn't sound like a  good
idea for the "home user". I have heard of people using "swimming pool  acid"
with good results. I'm not sure which one it is though, as it's been  about 4
or 5 years since I did the digging to find an alternative.
In the end though, I just replaced the fuel tank, since it was for my
wife's car. ;-)

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)