[T3] Front beam is loose

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Thu Nov 8 15:23:47 PST 2012

I got off work early today and inspected the front end some more.

I think it was Keith Parks that implied that if the ears (what the rubber stops are mounted on) are rusted through, then water can get into the beam.  I looked closely through the rust holes in the "ears" and it appears that the beam is solid behind them, so I don't see how the elements can get in there if the ears are swiss cheese, as mine are.  Am I missing something?

Don Robertson's reply (the tiny part that was an actual reply) suggested the steering damper as the possible culprit.  All the external linkages involved with steering are tight (tie rod ends and steering damper).

The general list wisdom is that repairing what I have is preferable to replacing what I have (I would have to keep my early 71 spindles for the 72 beam that is being offered).

The only slop I am finding is in the upper stabilizer bar.  The play is axial - the play in the torsion arm is in-and-out of the upper tube of the front beam and is about 2-3 millimeters!!

If I understand correctly, repair would involve removing the upper bar completely and drilling a new, deeper "land" for the right side set screw (bolt).  Alternatively, a new land could be drilled on the opposite side of the bar (the arms would need to be turned around 180 degrees).

Does this sound right?

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"