[T3] Front beam is loose

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 17:26:39 PST 2012

Usually, as soon as the salt gets in the ears it gets trapped in the dirt
against the beam and rots thru the beam.   Yea, the ears are welded TO the
beam and not thru it.

By the time the ears get that rusty though its almost always all rotted out
under the clamps.  Pull a lower arm and have a look at the bearings, if they
are rusty then the beam is shot, if not maybe you'll be lucky.  Sometimes
you can get a screwdriver in between the clamp and the end of the beam on
the lower section, and poke at the metal and see if its solid.

Keith

I got off work early today and inspected the front end some more.

I think it was Keith Parks that implied that if the ears (what the rubber
stops are mounted on) are rusted through, then water can get into the beam.
I looked closely through the rust holes in the "ears" and it appears that
the beam is solid behind them, so I don't see how the elements can get in
there if the ears are swiss cheese, as mine are.  Am I missing something?