[T3] running rich and mystery material

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 22:00:24 PST 2012

Hey Dennis,

I pulled the insulation 'board' out of the back of my Squareback to do some rust repair and have been looking for a good replacement for it, too.  Currently, I'm using that double sided silver 'foil' bubble wrap style insulation.  It was super easy to cut to a prefect fit and the thickness is fairly close to the original insulation (pretty cheap, too).  However, I think it's less than ideal for a long term solution for a few reasons.

I've been looking into something more like a thicker, stiff rubber or flexible plastic with a foil backing.Possibly like this stuff:  http://www.summitracing.com/search?keyword=THE-14610&dds=1
or maybe something along these lines: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-879012/media/images

The stuff in the first link comes 36X24" and if I remember right, the rear area is 36" wide and 24" should more than cover the depth on your trunk.  I feel like something that can't hold water, is thin enough to fit under the metal lip at the rear of the trunk, and provides decent sound and heat suppression would be best.  I'm not super keen on the adhesive backing but it would keep it from shifting around and could help seal out water, if pressed down tightly enough.

On the fuel injection problem:  It sounds like there's maybe a misfire, too.  At least it's running really rough, I'd probably check the plugs to see if they're fouling yet.  Also, I had an issue with rough running and cutting out and it turned out to be in my wiring harness, in particular the injector plugs.  I'm not sure what all you've done in regards to the harness but it might be a good place to start, cleaning and tightening all the contacts and in the sensor & injector plugs.  I wound up building an entirely new harness and adding extra direct ground wires for the relays and engine block and it runs pretty nicely now (used to lose power, stumble and run very rich).  I've also seen the system go super rich when either the MPS was disconnected from the harness (loose or dirty plug) or vacuum line (hose off or leaking badly) and running it with the incorrect MPS for the ECU your using.  I've used this page from Russ Wolfe's old site to figure out what part # combos are necessary.

As you probably already know, sometimes going over the total basics again is a good place to start (ignition system, grounds, harness connections).  There's a ton you can dig into with the D-Jet system, so sometimes it's best to just make sure the simple stuff is all correct.

My $.02,
JeremySF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI