[T3] Tires

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 10 20:07:19 PST 2012

On 31 Oct 2012 at 9:54, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I bought 4 tires in 2010.  A spare a few weeks ago.  So far, I like
> the ride, feel, cornering, quite-ness.  I put 100%b nitrogen in them.
> For non-absorption of moisture.

Nitrogen is actually a great absorber of water, and that is a good
thing. Nitrogen also usually comes "dry." That is, it has very little
water vapor in with it, so it's full absorbtion capability is
available.

Once in the tire, you want the water to stay in vapor form, rather
than condense out into liquid and cause the rim to rust.

OTOH, this is seldom a problem. I've seen exactly one badly rusted
rim, and I assume this was from a leaky tire that got topped up often
from a compressor pumping in humid air.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org