[T3] running rich and mystery material

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Nov 11 10:35:46 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:25 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] running rich and mystery material

On 9 Nov 2012 at 7:28, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Everything in the ignition is new except the coil. The coil I have in
> it is temporary.  When the car was in basket case mode one of the many
> things it was missing was a coil.  I had heard a lot of bad stuff
> about a Bosch blue coil so I'm hunting for an original black one. In
> the meantime it has a coil off a 69 Ford 302 engine it was just
> something I had laying around.

Didn't the Ford coil require a series resistor? VW Bosch coils don't use
one; they have a higher resistance primary instead.

Using the Ford coil without a resistor will shorten the life of the points
and possibly the coil.

I have good used OE Bosch black coils.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

I think some Fords from this era did have the resistor.  I think it dropped
the voltage down to 6V.   I don't remember the pick-up that coil came off of
having one of those.  However I did have a student bring a 71 Mustang that
did have one because we had to remove it when we up graded it to electronic
ignition. Then again could the resistor could of been removed before I got
the truck. This is what happens when my two worlds get mixed up (old Ford
trucks and old Volkswagens).  Any way this was only meant to be temporary
but maybe it needs to be very temporary.  If a can't find one soon I'll give
you a call Jim. That being said I don't think this is causing the running
very rich when it's cold and a little rich when it's warm problem.

Dennis