[T3] running rich and mystery material

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Nov 11 16:57:59 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:45 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] running rich and mystery material

On 11 Nov 2012 at 12:35, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Then again could the resistor could of been removed before I got the
> truck. This is what happens when my two worlds get mixed up (old Ford
> trucks and old Volkswagens).  Any way this was only meant to be
> temporary but maybe it needs to be very temporary.  If a can't find
> one soon I'll give you a call Jim. That being said I don't think this
> is causing the running very rich when it's cold and a little rich when
it's warm problem.

I agree that this is probably not your current idle problem. I'm guessing
that you may just have the idle set too low. Keep in mind that an 8 cylinder
engine will tolerate a much lower idle rpm than a 4-banger. You may just be
used to tuning up your old Ford trucks.

;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

I think the Bentley says to set the idle at 850 RPM. The 240 six cylinder my
truck use to have set at 600 so yes a little lower. The 302 was in a parts
truck.  I don't have to worry about setting the idle on my truck now. My
class installed a 4.6 V-8 out of a wrecked crown vic cop car so it's all
modern now just looks old.  Guess it's on the dark side now.
Dennis