[T3] Manifold gaskets

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 05:43:14 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/13/2012 12:00:14 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

So, I  should remove thin metal tin manifold gaskets?   How would they
cause major or any air leaks if there?

Neither  Bentley nor Muir books gave advice about what gaskets go under
Intake  Manifold.
   PS: Checking for T-3 parts-gasket vendors on-line, of the  several I
found, none mentioned that paper gaskets come along with the fat  gasket deal.
Have to call.

Yes. As others have already pointed, they cause an air leak, and don't
allow the intake runners to properly align with the IAD (plenum).

Bentley and Muir assume that you went to the dealer for the spacer  blocks.
The OE stuff has new gaskets on both sides. These are now NLA. As you've
mentioned, 40 year old cars won't be found in the service manual, and some
parts  have completely disappeared, that are shown in it.

The paper gaskets you want will never come in the cheap "complete  gasket
kit", as those kits are geared for the more commonly found bug, bus, and
ghia engine (t-1 based). And while our cars share most of their parts, the
gaskets you need won't be found in them. This is where you have to either find
a  good parts house, and get the paper gaskets separately (will cost  almost
what the entire kit does), or use the metal gasket as a template,  and cut
it out of a cereal box, or real gasket material. If you go that route,
leave out the dowel hole, as that will be a source of a vacuum leak. I hope this
 helps.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)