[T3] The new Main bearings

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 16 08:22:53 PST 2012

On 16 Nov 2012 at 7:00, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I did some research when getting parts together for a Type 1 build. I found some NOS VW of Mexico main bearings for less than some of the new steel-backed alternatives.
>
> Those alternatives (used by reputable engine builders) are Silverline and ACL, both for Type 1 and 4.
>
> Silverline:
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1128564

Okay, Silverline was the brand recommended by Gary Berg, and I see
that the Samba ad is from Gary. He has both Type 1 and Type 4
bearings, in limited sizes.

> ACL:
>
> http://www.aclperformance.com.au/VW1471Bearings.htm

There's interesting information here, but also some that raises
questions about what they mean. These appear to be for VW's later
water cooled engines. I couldn't find any listings for VW's earlier
air cooled engines. They come from "Down Under."

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org