[T3] Heater hose

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 20 07:33:47 PST 2012

On 19 Nov 2012 at 23:12, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> > 60/60 mm is the right diameter for us, but I don't think the beetle
> > lengths will work for Type 3s.
>
> Actually, 65/65mm is the correct diameter for early-1964-and-on T3s.
> I know because I've practically memorized the parts book entry for a
> heater tube that I need (311 255 357D, left side 65mm heater tube used
> November 63 through October 1964).  I don't know what size the earlier
> cars used, but I'm certain they're smaller.

That's interesting. The 60/60 diameter is what the later cars, the
ones with the air control valve in the heat exchanger, require. I had
no idea that earlier cars were larger.

That dimension is the OD of the pipes the hoses have to fit on, or
the ~ID of the hoses.

Okay, now I've checked the microfilm, and, sure enough, it calls out
"flexible pipe, 65 mm" for all those hoses. There are 2 different
lefts (for different ranges of years) but just one right, all 65 mm.
Anyone know why the lefts changed but the rights didn't?

But, I just went down and confirmed that a late heat exchanger
measures just under 60 mm (~2-3/8") OD. So now I believe that ALL the
heat exchangers and mixer boxes came with 60 mm OD inlet/outlet
tubes.

So, I'm concluding that the 65 mm that the microfilm calls out must
be the OD of the flexible tube rather than the ID! It's the ID that
we're really interested in. I've looked for a source for this
material, but haven't found anything really suitable yet.

So, the 60/60 beetle part is the one to look at, since Airhead parts
is careful to point out that this is the ID of their connecting hose.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org