[T3] Heater hose

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 20 11:29:04 PST 2012

On 20 Nov 2012 at 11:28, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> So what is the answer if using a non stock muffler? I don't want to
> fry the Thermostats. I cannot be the only one without a stock muffler.
> Heat would be nice.

Any muffler that eliminates the upper heat exchangers will make those
mixer boxes inoperative. If you plan to continue using one of those,
you can just forget about the mixer box function and either let the
thermostats pop or remove the thermostats. Either way, you'll want to
block off the upper opening to keep hot air from spilling out.

With those mufflers, you'll get less hot air, since there's no fresh
air mixing in with it, and less heat because you aren't picking up
any heat from the rear cylinders.

At this point in our cars' lives, heat is less important for most of
us, because we don't drive them in cold weather like we used to.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org