[T3] Heater hose

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 12:06:21 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/20/2012 10:34:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 19  Nov 2012 at 23:12, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2012, at 8:46  PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> > 60/60 mm is  the right diameter for us, but I don't think the beetle
> > lengths  will work for Type 3s.
>
> Actually, 65/65mm is the correct  diameter for early-1964-and-on T3s.
> I know because I've practically  memorized the parts book entry for a
> heater tube that I need (311 255  357D, left side 65mm heater tube used
> November 63 through October  1964).  I don't know what size the earlier
> cars used, but I'm  certain they're smaller.

That's interesting. The 60/60 diameter is  what the later cars, the
ones with the air control valve in the heat  exchanger, require. I had
no idea that earlier cars were  larger.

That dimension is the OD of the pipes the hoses have to fit on,  or
the ~ID of the hoses.

Okay, now I've checked the microfilm, and,  sure enough, it calls out
"flexible pipe, 65 mm" for all those hoses.  There are 2 different
lefts (for different ranges of years) but just one  right, all 65 mm.
Anyone know why the lefts changed but the rights  didn't?

Yes, the reason is length. On the 64 and very early 65's, the heater valve
was located on the body, while after Oct 64 (65 MY), the valve was built
into  the heat exchanger. Prior to Nov 63, the earlier tubing was 55 mm. I
know all  about this, as I went thru it when I replaced that section under the
rear seat  on my 64 T-34. That car got a section from a 62 T-34, that used
the earlier  smaller diameter tubes. Those valves are a bolt on though, so I
was able to  change them for the correct 64 style, and re-use my existing
hoses. The length  of the left heat exchanger changed in 65 requiring a new
hose (longer) than was  previously used.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)