[T3] Irregular Idling...again...Update

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 12:41:06 PST 2012

[ Will send this in Plain Text to maybe eliminate the question marks that I keep seeing in my posted messages. ]

Back to the Idling problems.

  Jim Adney asked if I have the 73 IAD and Breather, or if I kept the 72 IAD and Breather, when I switched engines.  I have what came with the 73. I only now saw how the two aren't the same. The 73 has an air hose going from the back of the IAD to the breather.
  The 72, that I took out of the car, has no such hose. Breather is the same except its hose vents down.  (Mine always just vented into space but I THINK it was supposed to vent into the oil dipstick pipe.)

  So....thinking that if that IAD-to-Breather hose is the only difference, I blocked off the hose to the IAD. Lug nut and hose clamp did the trick.  That helped cut the racing idle about in half, but the irregular idle is again noticeable.   And, still, the idle cannot be set. It's all the way screwed down. When I open it a bit, yes, it speeds up.

So, should I give up on that and change the IAD to the one without that hose?  OR...does plugging that hose essentially do the same as changing them?    When I do that I will use the intake boot hoses from the 72 engine.  They look tattered but have flexibility, unlike the once on the car now.  Will order replacements ASAP.

And, I'll remove the thin tin Intake gaskets (that both engines had) leaving only the thick ones. Hard to see how the thin tin puts the intake pipes in different position...especially with 14 lb of torque on the nuts.

RE:  The AAR:  Is it a good idea to set AAR adjustment nearer to, or at, the plus sign? That direction cuts off the air flow.  Setting it at minus opens up the air. I did this thinking that I'm obviously getting too much air...more air, apparently, when cold engine warms up.

I'm not yet clear on the idea of changing brain box and pressure sensor.  When doing the engine change, I left ALL the electronic things in the car. Nothing came with or from the 73...except engine block, breather, IAD, and manifold.  It all worked amazingly for about a month, doing some serious driving...until this idling mystery began.