[T3] The story of the Kuhmo Power star 758

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Nov 14 18:20:32 PST 2012

OK, with all the conflicting news on the Kuhmo I made a few phone calls
today, and finally got a hold of a sales rep at Kuhmo USA,
So can we still get new Kuhmo's?  Yes and No.

Turns out that the Powerstar series and ANY available tire in our stock size
is no longer being sold in the US BY KUHMO.
The tires ARE, however, still being made in Korea, hence the newer date
codes.
There is one dealer, discount tire (or one of their clones) that has made a
"Container buy" of a large quantity of the power stars in our size
Directly from Korea, even though Kuhmo themselves doesn't advertise or sell
the tire in the USA market.

So, NO, they haven't sold our tires in the US since 2008, BUT. thanks to
discount tire, you CAN buy new Powerstars in the US from THEM
And ONLY THEM. but they don't appear to be able to sell them mail order and
they don't have any dealers in the northeast, leaving me Boned.

I did have a wonderful dream last night of dozens of Squarebacks heading
down the NYS Thruway on their way to the 14 invasion all packed full of
Kuhmo Powerstars, all stacked inside. even on roofracks!  :-)

Hint hint.  :-)

So there you have it, if you have a discount tire near you they are probably
the best affordable choice, im sure the European ones (I forget the name)
are better but
At more than twice the cost. not for me.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"