[T3] Crates engine

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 13 16:30:33 PST 2012

Well, I can find the parts... but it's the quality that's really in
question. I got the main bearings from the machine shop, as they supposedly
fit them but of course Im going to bolt them up in the case to check anyway.

10 years ago I was told that most cases were good and didn't need an align
bore, but both my 914 2L GA cases did, and they didn't look whipped when I
pulled them apart.  Perhaps living here in the east, where they rusted out
long before they wore out they are easier to find good still rotting in the
woods.

The T4 cases were basically the same, but there were differences... most can
be built into what you want but as they say... the devil is in the details.

Keith

The T4 engine parts are getting scarcer in these parts. The bearings are
harder to locate and going up in price when you do find the ones you
require. Good cases are even harder to find now. And I live in the West. I
even purchased vehicles to take the motors out of to rebuild. Gets one a
good case; but I still have the problem of getting a good set of bearings.
Not only do the T2, bays and T3(25) Vanagons use the case; but the 914 1.7 &
1.8 also. I wonder if the 411/412's case is the same. Never took one of them
apart or removed one. Those cars can be had on the cheap.