[T3] Oil Leak and Backfire

Brion Sabbatino brionsab at msn.com
Tue Nov 13 17:46:42 PST 2012

I got my Solex duel carburetor Squareback running a few months ago. It had a constant misfire coming from the left bank carburetor. The number 4 cylinder pushrod tube gasket also leaked badly. Work got in the way and I let the car set. No matter what I did to adjust the carburetors, that left side still back fired. And then there was the oil leak. So, I gathered up the repair parts to (new seals) to reinstall the push rod tube correctly. Figured the misfire was a tight valve. So with the engine in the car I removed the coil, generator, carburetor, intake, and sheet metal. Then I removed the valve cover and discovered this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=992166

Not a good indicator of a quality rebuild job. Then throw in the very obvious misaligned push rod seal.

How loose does a rocker arm adjustment have to be in order for this to occur?

In any event, the head and valve seats look great, the cylinders look good, cross hatching and all. A little crud to clean up on the number 3 cylinder is all. I stretched the push rod tubes, installed new seals, and am putting it all back together.

All the parts seem to be of very good quality (VW). I do have to wonder about the inattention to detail of the re-builder.

I am confident it will run like a champ once I put it all back together, adjust the valves, and sync the carburetors.

After witnessing this I know why we perform our own repairs and restoration.

Brion S.
S. Utah