[T3] What Next?

matthew n stanfield vw70t3 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 11:23:34 PDT 2012

On 2012.10.14, at 1045pm, Jim Adney wrote:

> Check that the #1 piston is at TDC when both its valves are closed,
> and remain closed for the next 1/2 turn of the crank. Verify that the
> dist rotor is pointing to the little scribe mark on the upper edge of
> the dist body at that TDC.
Check.

> Check the dwell & ignition timing. Use a timing light to set the
> timing, because this verifies that there is actually spark.
This may be a stupid question, but how do i do this if i can not get it started. I have been referencing the Bentley manual and it describes checking these two items with the engine running and warm. Is there a procedure to do these checks with a cold engine that will not start?

> Okay, you've already adjusted the valves, .004/.006, right?
Yes. I used a .15mm feeler gauge (which i guess translates to .006").

> Turn the key on. Do you hear a relay click and then another relay
> click ~1 second later? Do you hear the fuel pump running during that
> time?
Yes to both clicks and the fuel pump running.

> Short between the 2 red wires on the fuel pump relay, to make the
> pump run and fill the fuel lines.
I give this a shot next time i get a chance to work on the car (hopefully in the next couple of days)

> With the key ON, depress the throttle on the engine. Do you hear a
> series of clicks as the throttle goes down, but not as it comes back
> up? ('70-73 only.)
Yes, there are clicks with key on when i depress the throttle.

So i guess the next steps will be to check the fuel pressure and sort through the FI wires to make sure they are connected correctly?

I do have a fuel pressure gauge connected between the 1 & 2 injectors, it is just a matter of getting a helper to check the pressure while i crank the starter (or i guess i can check it when i short the red wires on the relay to get the pump to run continuously). When i was working on it yesterday, the gauge was registering pressure, but it was always down at about 20 on it's way to zero by the time i could get back to the engine compartment.