[T3] Fuel pump frenzy/1303 Convertible

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 24 20:42:14 PDT 2012

On 24 Oct 2012 at 1:46, Maximilian Bukszpan wrote:

> Is it true that you can repair those Bosch electric gas pumps????

I rebuild the D-Jetronic pumps like those used in FI Type 3s. I'm not
sure about the L-Jet pumps used in Beetles. If they have 4 screws
holding the pump head to the motor body, then they may be the same,
but if everything is crimped together, I don't think I will be able
to help.

> My beetle Convertible, well i did not drive it very much, so because of just standing it broke down means it just does not deliver anymore fuel!!
> Is there a way to conserve those fuel pumps over a long time when you store your car???

The best thing to do is to store your car with the gas tank FULL.
Don't let it dry out.

> In this forum, there is / was always a discussion about motoroils for
> beetle/type 3!! I always used regular motoroil, 20W-50 and also Mobil 1
> Synthetic!! 50;50!! I do have extra oil-cooling and filter thru a CB
> performance oil-pump where the oil goes out and returns!!

The synthetic may have some advantage when used with the full flow
filter, but the filter itself is the greatest part of that advantage.

> BUT I use since I have the car as an additive to the motoroil: MOS 2
> Molybdaenum!!! Or today, fluid Ceramic, no teflon stuff!!

MoS2 is pretty wonderful stuff, but it's not clear how much good it
does in engine applications. It probably does more good in gearboxes.
Your filter may remove it, as it is a suspended solid.

> Regarding spark plugs I read that the Bosch crap you can buy is
> now made in Russia!!!

The Bosch plugs still work just fine for me, but mine are all pretty
old stock. I've not heard about their being made in Russia; that
sounds pretty far-fetched to me.

> Oh, please can you or anyone clearly write down which brand and
> weigth/Code the exact diesel-motoroil is which is always talk about to
> use for the VW engine today!!

The weight I found was 15W-40, which is a good choice. I don't think
the brand matters. Just look at the back label to see if it has an
"S" rating, like SF or SG.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org