[T3] Speaking of Gas

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 30 08:24:37 PDT 2012

On 30 Oct 2012 at 9:56, Keith Park wrote:

> I filled up the Square yesterday, which around town is fine on 87 but WOW!
> The High test is now 60 CENTS HIGHER than the cheap stuff!
> Its supposed to be 20 cents higher so were getting Raped again.

We're in Tucson, AZ, driving the Diesel Jetta. We've been watching
fuel prices during the trip, and it's interesting to see the
variation. One odd thing I've noticed on this trip is that if we
leave the highway, the first station we encounter is often a Chevron
with rediculous prices. Drive 4 blocks farther and we find fuel at
$0.40 cheaper per gallon!

We have come across a couple stations that are selling B10 or B20,
which is a mix of BioDiesel. Our 2011 Jetta forbids anything more
than B5. Anyone know why?

You can Google and find a web site that calls out gas taxes by state.
It's interesting that they vary a LOT and they are different for
Diesel and gasoline for most states.

On our trip so far, our daily Diesel mileages have been 44.5, 37.5
(strong head wind) 47.5, and 47.5 mi/gal. (US gallons) We've seen
Diesel prices from $3.88 to $4.50 (which we didn't buy.) $4.10 and
$4.20 were most common. That may seem high, but our fuel economy
makes this quite reasonable.

If you want to find the best prices in your area, go to gasbuddy.com
and put in your location. Check out the site. You can choose the type
of fuel you're looking for and then get to a map that shows prices
for that. It's an easy way to find cheap gas wherever you are. Be
careful, however, because the prices are sent in by anyone, and
sometimes people send in wrong prices. I find that cheap Diesel
prices are occasionally posted for places that don't actually sell
Diesel. That's probably not as much of a problem for normal gas.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org