[T3] Two Parts Cars....

Mark Wolfe markw at wolfenet.org
Tue Oct 30 19:55:52 PDT 2012

On 10/30/12 7:41 PM, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/30/2012 9:01:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:
>
> I'm not all ready to get into selling it all and going nuts on e-bay or
> something....and shipping and packaging and guessing prices, etc.
> But...this is just to see what the list thinks about this.   I'm in  Philadelphia, if
> that helps re/ checking things out and all.
> What  do people do with their collections?
>

> I've been working on putting my parts to use on my other cars, or just
> keeping what I need in 2 different sheds. I think most of us here are like that
>   (at least those of us who have the space to store stuff). But
> realistically, I  think 1 or 2 extra parts of each breakable item (like glass) might be
> enough. If  you've owned the car long enough, you'll already have a good
> idea of what wears  out, and how long that takes. So you'll have an idea of how
> many of those parts  you'll need to keep. Sheet metal pieces are different,
> depending on IF you spend  a lot of time in the salt.

Ok, I can speak from experience here.  If you do _ANYTHING_ with your
stuff, organize it.   After dealing with my dad's parts collection, all
my stuff is getting tagged/labeled.   I've built shelves in my garage
and have those semi-clear storage containers with labels on them.   If
you're not going to use it, sell it.  If it's not worth selling, get
scrap price out of it.  I'm not quite to what my buddy does, he puts
stuff in a box and dates the last time he opened it.  If it sits for
more than a year, he tosses it without opening it.  My dad was in the
processes of organizing his stuff, and you could tell some stuff was
labeled but he had so much it was overwhelming.  If you start now with
small collection of parts, it won't grow into an unmanageable large
collection of parts.

Mark