[T3] What Next?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 14 19:45:40 PDT 2012

On 14 Oct 2012 at 18:54, matthew n stanfield wrote:

> I tore the engine of my 1970 Fastback down and reassembled it about
> four years ago and have not been able to get it to start since. It had
> been running for a couple of months prior to tearing the engine down
> after it took me 10 years to get it running the last time.

> It seems so close to starting. It fires and will sometimes run for a
> few seconds on it's own, but that is it. I checked and rechecked the
> distributor orientation and checked the valve adjustment. Beyond that
> i have no idea where to go from here.

Break it down into independent systems, then check each system in
turn to verify that each one is working. The FI system is one that
you won't be able to verify completely, but you can do a lot.
Nevertheless, start with the systems you CAN verify; then move on.

Check that the #1 piston is at TDC when both its valves are closed,
and remain closed for the next 1/2 turn of the crank. Verify that the
dist rotor is pointing to the little scribe mark on the upper edge of
the dist body at that TDC.

Check the dwell & ignition timing. Use a timing light to set the
timing, because this verifies that there is actually spark.

Okay, you've already adjusted the valves, .004/.006, right?

Turn the key on. Do you hear a relay click and then another relay
click ~1 second later? Do you hear the fuel pump running during that
time?

Short between the 2 red wires on the fuel pump relay, to make the
pump run and fill the fuel lines.

With the key ON, depress the throttle on the engine. Do you hear a
series of clicks as the throttle goes down, but not as it comes back
up? ('70-73 only.)

If you answered no to any of these questions, you need to stop and
figure out what's wrong and fix it. It's quite possible to hook FI
wires up incorrectly, so they may need to be sorted out. Check for
broken wires.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org