[T3] Frozen drum

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 17:14:17 PDT 2012

I thought Id done that with the antisieze, but apparently not.
I got the outer part of the hub red hot...  THAT usually free's everything
but not this time.

Keith

I put a very light coat of grease on those surfaces, too. Yes, it
helps immensly. I wasn't sure whether a bit of grease on the splines
would be a good idea or not, but at this point I'm sure Keith wishes
he'd done that.

I think VW had a special puller for this job. It bolted to the 5 lug
bolt holes. If it didn't work by itself, you could always add heat.
Keith's approach, with the loose/cottered axle nut, may also work.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org