[T3] Crate's engine apart, mostly...

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Sep 2 20:54:56 PDT 2012

In a message dated 9/2/2012 8:25:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch at nycap.rr.com writes:

Its nice  pulling apart an engine that has never been touched.

Couple things I  took note of:
The Carbs have no phenolic isolater blocks on them, that  could explain some
of the hot start issues. did any of the 1500S's lack  them?

This engine has no aluminum finned baffle under the breather, did  the early
cars lack these?

The pushrods have these little rings near  the ends. what were these
supposed
to be for?

The #3 piston had a  broken top ring, maybe the Eggman put some cheap gas in
it? the cylinders  look very good and have a lot of the
Hone marks still on them, the honing  looked pretty coarse.  The Domed
pistons were in fact in it.  I  have new 1500 pistons and rings, Im inclined
to break the glaze and re-use  the 1500 cylinders with flat top pistons, but
Id have to have them  ridge-reamed, hopefully RIMCO can do that if they mic
out OK.  This  motor only has 33Kmi on it.

No, no phenolic spacers. Those were introduced with dual port heads. All
they got was the copper "O" seal, and a paper gasket between the manifold and
 the carb.

Mine had one, but I don't know IF Russ added it, or if it was there
originally. I'd have to look in the Blue Bentley to know for sure.

If you're meaning the pushrod end tips (they're the same on both ends of
the pushrods), then yes, that's normal. These engines are a cross between a
1600  and a 40 HP. My 64 engine has them too.The pushrods are the old style
(40  HP) parts.

Like Brian and Jim, I'd use a "ball style" hone on it, then do some
measuring and see what you have to work with. You might find the cylinders are
still within spec, and the ridge is just carbon. Keep in mind that our pistons
 install from the bottom of the cylinder. ;-)

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)